Saturday, January 26, 2013

Key to the Treasure by Peggy Parish

Key to the Treasure by Peggy Parish (1966)

This is the book that made me realize that I loved reading. I'm not sure how I got a copy or why I decided to read it the fine Saturday morning instead of going outside, but it was a very important moment in my life. I read this book from cover to cover in a single day, and I was only in second grade.

Peggy Parish is best known for her character Amelia Bedelia, the maid with no understanding of figurative language. However, Parish wrote a variety of stories including a set of stories during her life including a series of young children solving mysteries.

Key to the Treasure, is the first of these stories involving siblings Jed, Bill, and Liza. In this story, the children are spending the summer with their grandparents. Grandpa's family has a story that has been passed down for generations. Actually, there are two stories to tell.

When Grandpa's Grandpa was a boy, he lived near an old Indian woman names Old Jane. (This is written in the 60's when that name was acceptable.) When she died, she left him all of the tribal treasures she had collected.

When Grandpa's Grandpa grew up, he got married, and had three children-two boys and a girl. The children love their father's games, and the Indian treasures. Each of them has a special item that they love most. Grandpa's Grandpa is called away to fight in the Civil War, and to keep the kids out of trouble, he takes their favorite items and hides them. There are a set of clues to the hiding place. Grandpa's Grandma is given the first clue which she accidentally washes when she does the laundry. All that remains is a painting with a the Indian headdress, a clay pot, a strange key, and a question mark. Each generation tries to find the treasure, but there is something missing, some clue.

The next day, the children are playing with the headdress before it is sent to be a part of an exhibit at the local museum. They fight over whose turn it should be, and Bill accidentally pulls out one of the feathers. Inside the cup that holds the feather, they find a piece of old paper that holds a clue to the treasure. The children decide to try to find the treasure in secret so they can surprise Grandpa.

I love the clues because they are a variety of word puzzles that you can solve for yourself. You just need to write out the clues and stop the story long enough to solve them.

I actually used this book when I was doing my student teaching. I only had the one copy so I read it. We did all sorts of lessons with secret codes and puzzles. We learned Morse Code, and solved each of the puzzles.

I definitely suggest this book, and you should check it out as soon as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment